We all love a great summer party or BBQ. With the last of the summer parties just around the corner (crazy I know!), here are some simple tips to stay on track + eat healthy at your favorite cookout.
1. Set Yourself Up to SUCCEED.
Bring something you KNOW you can EAT.
Be the friend who brings a fabulous veggie dip or chicken + veggie kabobs. Offer to bring healthier chip options (Food Should Taste Good + Late July are two awesome brands
Bring a healthy appetizer or a healthy dessert like watermelon
2. Start the day with a fabulous BREAKFAST.
3. Get your WORKOUT in in the morning, before you go.
4. At the Cookout, Start with a PROTEIN as the Main Item on Your Plate
Hamburger, Grilled Chicken, Steak Tips, Italian Sausage, Hot Dog (try nitrate free- Applegate is a fabulous brand + Boarshead nitrate free hot dogs!)
Opt-OUT of the BUN + load up on grilled veggies
5. Want a Summer cocktail? Alcohol will act as your starchy carb since alcohol turns into sugar in the body. The best options if you want a summer drink are:
Vodka (Tito’s Brand)
Gluten Free Beer (Omission Brand, Red Bridge Brand)
Hard Cider (Strongbow and Smith + Forge have the least amount of sugar compared to Angry Orchard)
6. Fruit: EAT SEASONALLY.
This is the time for delicious watermelon, peaches and berries
Strawberries + Blueberries are known to have the highest amount of pesticides so try to buy ORGANIC when possible
7. Remember the MENTAL GAME.
8. If you do feel like you “went off the wagon” get right back on the horse the next day.